On Feb 8, 2008 9:41 PM, Ramjee Swaminathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> misri or chini - white crystalline sugar
>
> It would be of interest to note that, of all the above products, misri
> or white crystalline sugar is a very late entrant to the scene of
> Indian cuisine in a major way and has quickly become predominant.

In UP and Delhi, I believe misri refers not to the everyday small
crystalline sugar, but the bigger chunks. And in some parts of Kerala,
I've heard the same thing referred to as 'kalkandam'.

Chini is the white crystalline sugar which is now predominant.

Or does someone know it differently?

--
- Hassath