On Saturday 01 March 2008, ss wrote:
[snip]
> One more religion that is considered  dharmic and non adversarial (towards
> Hindus) and an  offshoot of Hinduism is the Sikh religion. The Sikh
> religion started off as a mild-mannered variant that took dharma from
> Hinduism and a monotheistic theme.

This is something that probably every Sikh hears a lot and it still
never fails to surprise me when I hear it. Sikhism is better considered
a syncretic blending of Bhakti tradition and Sufism.

I've often wondered: can a religion be monotheistic, anti-idolatory,
anti-superstition (at least in theory if not in general practice) and
caste-blind and still be considered Hinduism? If so, then to my mind
Hinduism is everything and nothing, and the term devoid of value.

-Taj.