On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:00:50AM -0500, Christopher M. Kelty wrote:
> first and academics second... so I guess it depends on how you
> draw the lines around the "academic" world vs. the professional
> world-- what would "professional" humanities designate?  If there were
> such a thing, perhaps the comparison would be fair.

it seems that was the point the author was making - that since there is _not_
such a thing as "professional" humanities (well, there may be exceptions), the
humanities are driven towards greater academic insularity than engineers. not
because academics' salaries depend on being able to communicate with
non-academics, but because professionals' salaries depend on being able to
communicate with non-professionals (at least in the case of engineers).

-rishab