Christopher M. Kelty [12/05/08 10:03 -0500]:
dude, did you fail your english lit class or something?  I've never
seen so much resentment in one post.  Sorry for being such a parasite
on society.  Usually people on this list want to kill all the lawyers

Well, some people just love broccoli. Just like some people think
mathematics is beautiful.

Me, I structured as much of my postgrad work as possible to avoid even the
least tinge of math (so took on an MBA .. running headfirst into operations
research and accountancy / finance both of which I scraped through)

I can get by very well indeed without knowing or using calculus, or group
theory, or even solving the traveling salesman problem. Thank god for that
:)  Yup, I can also get by very well indeed without reading Shakespeare's
plays or Keats' poems, but I enjoy them so I read them anyway.

Though, if something fails a turing test - like the derrida generator /
sokal's work etc fooled social text - it probably shoudlnt qualify as
serious literature. Monkeys jumping up and down on a keyboard cant really
produce a work of Shakespeare, right? [though, a roach jumping on a
typewriter keyboard can churn out some fun poetry - don marquis' archy and
mehitabel]

        suresh