> Karat commented yesterday that this is due to the BJP yearning for a
> presidential form of government, and always trying to fit our present
> Westminster style parliamentary democracy with PM and cabinet responsible to
> the house and determined by a majority in the house to a quasi presidential
> system.

Wouldn't a presidential system actually be better than the coalition
goverments we've been getting? I.e. they can get things done?

Instead of trying to prevent a Vote of no confidence/withdrawal of support,
they can concentrate on legislation and also reduces chances of re-election.
The Indian election is a very costly affair -
http://indian-election2009.blogspot.com/2009/03/cost-of-indian-election-2009.html
.

Kiran