I don;t know about this debate. I don't think it is even real. India cannot
have a Presidential system because I don't think this nation is capable of a
consensus candidate. The interests of the constituent states has to be
represented at the centre because the power sharing arrangement in the
Constitution as it stands is heavily biased in favor of the centre. Greater
power was not granted to the states at the time of independence because
there was a genuine fear of fragmentation.

In today's scenario, I think the lack of consensus over any one candidate,
and in fact the impossibility of it, is betrayed by the constancy of
coalition politics. Hence, I think having a President is an impossibility.
Yes, the BJP may be trying to project a single leader, but so is everyone
else. If Sonia were willing to be PM there would be no doubt about the
Cong's candidate. And even if a proxy is elected, there is no doubt about
who is in charge. The left does not name a PM candidate because they are not
capable of producing a PM - they've never even attempted it. The only way
they can is through horse-trading in Parliament.

As for efficiency, what ever the system, it'll still be the same people
manning that system. It can be distorted by preying on the same moral
deficiencies.