Subject: Re: [silk] Need some help
From: "." <svaks...@gmail.com>
Date: 21-04-2009 20:59

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Zainab Bawa <bawazaina...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not really so. In Bangalore, a Belgian friend of mine was told that she
> would be allowed to take up the place only if she promised to stay
> vegetarian. Another American friend in Mumbai, married and with kids, was
> refused housing on grounds of vegetarianism.

Assuming that your Belgian and American friends are not Muslim, the
claim that its a plot to keep out the whole Muslim community does not
stand. It seems like an individual's bias about who should live in his
private property.  Should he be hauled to jail for that? I dont think
so. He is just yet another narrow-minded person I'd would rather avoid
even if the property was rent-free.  Its also a misnomer that "all
Hindus are vegetarian" which is more of individual choice or a
family's choice in some cases, but definitely not a religious one.
Religion per se is not evil, rather its the people who use (any)
religion to control and grab power or dictate terms to others that are
the root of the problem.  What happened to your friends (and you) are
an individual's bias and by stretching that line of logic I can think
of gazillion personal instances when I have been discriminated against
on the basis of my gender, age, nationality, skin color, religion,
....  I happen to know a Sikh family who are staunch vegetarians and
would not wish to mingle or marry a person different from them.  I
also know Jains who eat meat outside the house but toe the line and
would not dare risk offending the better half (or his parents) by even
mentioning "chicken tikka or kebab" at home.

And yet, stretching that line of reasoning and argument is a scary
double-edged sword, as in, any women could easily take offence at any
matrimonial sites because they encourage Indian men to advertise for a
bride thus : "Male, 31 yrs, 5'10" very fair (brown-skin is so not
metro-sexual when you have skin-whitening products for men modeled by
the Badshah of Bollywood himself), handsome, highly educated
Phd/Engineer/Doctor/add education, add religion (category, subcaste no
bar.  Wow, a broad-minded bloke !) seeks a mutually compatible
accomplished (read, willing to be my lifelong unpaid housemaid who
will provide sex-at-my-command) educated/working (another unsaid
euphemism for dowry in monthly installments) bride.  The opposite is
also true but they dont sound very logical to me.  Would it be
illogical and unfair to label every Indian male who advertises his
personal preferences as a racist and chauvinistic pig or claim that
"ALL men are rapists" because the proportion of men who rape is more
than the opposite ; which does seem like stretching logic a wee bit
too much for half the world's population being discriminated against,
if numbers count.

Does'nt discrimination start the moment we divide, classify and
sub-classify things, people, animals, [add your poison of choice],
along various criteria?  Being "different" is a form of discrimination
too but the last I heard, the politically correct name was
"diversity". In a biological sense, each of us is uniquely different,
if DNA matters.

--
.