Kiran K Karthikeyan wrote:

> projects I hire for are small (less than 10 developers) and the tech leads
> double up as project managers in most cases and if the team grows, we get a

This is how projects go south. A tech lead cannot "double up" as a
project manager. A classic Indian IT situation where the developer
aspires to "grow" into a Project Manager.

The skills needed to be a Project Manager are way different than those
needed of a Tech Lead/Architect. Creating a Gantt chart in Microsoft
Project does not mean one is equipped to become a Project Damager. In
fact, I would strongly encourage people who swear by MSP to unlearn 70%
or more of what they have learnt if they have to become successful
Project Managers.

-V