2009/9/8 Thaths <tha...@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Kiran K
> Karthikeyan<kiran.karthike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would be interested to see what questions silklisters use to guage
> > analytical, problem solving, and other skills when you are looking for
> both
> > a creative and analytical profile.
>
> Creative? Surely you are joking, Mr. Karthikeyan. That "find the
> object with the defect with the fewest weighings" is a question which
> any self respecting puzzle solving type should have encountered and
> digested in their high school.

Being a self-respecting puzzle solving type, I agree :)

But so far, I've not come across any who had the answer instantly. Usually,
the entire question takes at least 20 mins (including the solution for the
max number for 3 weighings).

> I tend to start with a bunch of easy questions which have well known
> correct answers to break the ice and gauge the candidate's general
> abilities and then dig deeper into a couple of areas with open ended
> questions with not necessarily one correct answer.
>
> 'What happens when you type www.wikipedia.org?' is a great question.

When you have 4-5 interviews to do in a day, you don't have the luxury of
time to ask the easy questions. You get on the tough ones as soon as
possible to save time for the better candidates. Maybe not the best
approach, but its the only way possible given whats required. Note that
these are not the only questions I ask. There are others testing for similar
skills based on their experience.