On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Manar Hussain <ma...@ivision.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:04 PM, ss <cybers...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday 09 Oct 2009 4:28:59 pm Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>> The Peace Nobel is effectively a joke. Just not a very funny one.
>>
>> And this joke appears to me to be like a political act.
>
> It's bizarre isn't it. That said, I'm not sure I'm prepared to so
> rapidly discount the prima facie rationale:
>
> (Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said:)
> "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".
> "It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done"

The Nobel Prize is a political tool, it always has been - not a
totally bad thing since they generally seem to forward the cause of
peace.

That said, Obama has been the most globally liked politician in recent
times. He was a breath of fresh air when he first came on the scene in
an atmosphere of gloom. He extended the rhetoric of hope in an
environment of gloom, and gave the rest of the world cause to believe
in the US once again. These are not small achievements, I don't know
if they deserve a Nobel on their own, but they aren't ignorable deeds.

This combined with the desire of the Nobel committee to support
Obama's policies makes it not a terrible idea, though they should have
done a better job of selling the idea.

Cheeni