On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Eugen Leitl wrote, [on 10/9/2009 10:32 PM]:
>
> > Apparently, you missed the memo. (You also mention Mother Teresa, which
> > is not exactly a lily-white saint figure, whatever the official
> hagiography
> > says).
>
> This is one of my favourite rant topics, though I think I've mostly
> spared silk so far on this. I can't think of many people who've worked
> so diligently to further the cause of human misery (no, that's not a
> typo) who have such a sparkling reputation.

Agree entirely.

BTW, the Nobel Committee chairman has said that the prize to Obama was not
based on potential, but on performance: "We are not awarding the prize for
what may happen in the future, but for what he has done in the previous
year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/world/10nobel.html?hp

Go figure.

--