On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do love hyper loquaciousness (sp?) in principle (c.f., Wodehouse,
> P.G.). However, these particular ones are somehow archaic, chintzy and
> even awkward.

You have, er, hit the nail on the head. English is taught using old,
archaic texts (some schools still teach Shakespeare for "non-detailed
text"). Wren and Martin is still standard issue grammar, and kids are
still being taught to "write a letter". The more floral, the better it
is.

I think the major issue is lack of teachers. Teaching is such a
critical job, but those who are teachers get barely any benefits. Most
people are now keen to leave India for, erm, greener pastures. I have
had at least two amazing teachers who did so, and this was in the
early 90s - I am sure the deluge is much bigger now. Those who are
left behind are those who use floral language.