On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM, divya manian <divya.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have, er, hit the nail on the head. English is taught using old,
> archaic texts (some schools still teach Shakespeare for "non-detailed
> text").

What the hell was "Naan Deetale" about anyway? Was this something we
inherited from the British? Why did we have prose, poetry, grammar and
non-detailed sections to begin with? Was non-detailed supposed to be a
reading comprehension section?

> I think the major issue is lack of teachers. Teaching is such a
> critical job, but those who are teachers get barely any benefits. Most
> people are now keen to leave India for, erm, greener pastures. I have
> had at least two amazing teachers who did so, and this was in the
> early 90s - I am sure the deluge is much bigger now. Those who are
> left behind are those who use floral language.

Speaking of teachers... the ones that had the most positive impact on
me in school were, for some reason, the Geography and English
teachers. The most sadistic ones were the ones that taught PT, History
(I have two words for those of you who went to PS Senior: "Rajam
Miss") and Hindi.

Thaths
--
Homer: Look at these low, low prices on famous brand-name electronics!
Bart:  Don't be a sap, Dad. These are just crappy knockoffs.