I grew up with an uneven and highly catholic taste in books largely because
I read what my mom read and had around in the "penthouse suite" (sole room
on the terrace). Sidney Sheldon battled with Alex Haley and Alexander
Solzhenitsyn for supremacy and my Lit professors were convinced that I had
not developed sufficient discrimation as a result.

My kid will most certainly face the limitations of his parents' reading
habits. But what I hope he would do is step outside the box sooner or later
on his own. I don't think giving him a Kindle will promote either his sense
of initiative or his habit of reading merely by giving more choices anymore
than a library would give.