Eugen,

* Eugen Leitl (eu...@leitl.org) [110618 04:42]:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 12:21:42AM +0530, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:
> > This is a very thorough and compelling takedown of bitcoin.
>
> Currencies are consensual belief systems.

   No they are not.

   Example:

      In the USA, I *must* pay taxes in USD,
      not bitcoins, regardless of my level
      of belief or consent in either.

> Bitcoin will remain useful as long as there are
> no effective attacks against the cryptosystem and/or
> the infrastructure, and people continue
> to believe in it.

   The idea of Bitcoin is grand; however, it seems deeply
   flawed on many levels.

   First, here's my unified framework for understanding the
   relationship between fiat currency based systems
   and n-way barter asynchronous systems:

   [1] Multiflow on timed, colored, prioritized Petri nets
       with variable & uncertain topology approximates barter.
       Currency is a bartered "color".

   [2]  Colors in a barter Petri net have time & place dependent
        {estimated|actual|perceived} marginal:

          o  "intrinsic local" value
          o  "gamed network" value

   [3]  Modeling currency as a multiflow-bartered color,
        Petri net place color values depend on place intrinsics,
        topology forecasts, and  supply/demand game theory.

   [4]  "Faith" in a bartered item is reliance on estimates of
        its {present|future} "local intrinsic" and  "gamed network"
        {estimated|actual|perceived} marginal values.

   [5]  All items in barter exchange are created "by fiat"
        when they are created by someone else.

   For these reasons, it doesn't bother me at all that Bitcoin
   is a "fiat" currency per-se, but it *does* bother me that
   it is not a proxy for something with intrinsic local value
   to someone somewhere.

   Essentially, we are asking people to barter things the
   make or do that have intrinsic local value for something
   that has none at all -- without the force of law twisting
   their arm to do so (as the US government does when I pay
   my taxes in USD).

   Further, Bitcoin is encouraging the production of useless items
   (ie: key block solutions) merely because of the mathematically
   easy with which they can be verified, and the apparent difficulty
   of faking them.

   To do that robustly in the context of a computational arms race,
   Bitcoin makes these blocks harder to solve as things go along,
   thereby effectively *centralizing* the process of mining coins.
   It all comes down to blocks/$ efficiency, so if you can't compete
   with Exxon access to cheap energy, or the Fed for cheap USD to buy
   energy/computers, then you can't economically mine coins in the
   long run.

   This argument leads to a very sobering conclusion:
   centralized mining is implicit in the trust model Bitcoin uses.
   Ouch.

   Why would I want a purely faith-based "color" in this
   barter Petri net anyway, if I could just as well get
   one with some intrinsic value?  I'd prefer to trade in
   proxies for something with easily convertible worth
   outside the system during both the bootstrapping
   phase and afterwards.

   What Bitcoin mining looks like to me is a computer-science-only
   solution to a verification problem that has some extremely
   robust solutions outside of the world of computer science:
   multiple independent audits.

   While it's true that someone might pay off N auditors
   (thereby creating fraudulent receipts for barter),
   lawsuits and insurance have already solved this problem
   fairly well in the real world of commodities markets,
   and in a way that does not count on some hashing cipher
   never being broken.  Decentralized webs of trust could
   make a system like this extremely resilient to fraud.

   Note that if the "colors" in a barter Petri net are proxies
   for commodities, then you really *do* have a robust way of
   auto-scaling currency supply to market size, and a decentralized
   system of currency production (ie: audited receipts for commodities)
   that encourages the production of things with intrinsic worth
   according to their actual market value.

   Bitcoin has none of this.

   Bitcoin's choice of trust model for mining seems to make it not
   very different from the USD fiat currency we have today:
   controlled by energy/finance oligarchs, inherently worthless,
   and divorced at point of injection into the system from
   meaningful market signals.

> Bitcoin is unlikely to be it, but it will have successors and
> competitors.

   Yes, I agree.

                -Jon