On 10/23/2011 11:21 AM, Ingrid wrote:
On 23-Oct-2011, at 6:43 AM, Mahesh Murthy<mahesh.mur...@gmail.com>  wrote:

To me it's a seemingly-eloquently argued defense of cowardice.
Isn't that a defining trait of NRIs : to move to an oasis that someone else
built rather than transform one's own desert surroundings?

This somewhat toxic line of reasoning reminds me of a scene from In Which Annie Gives it Those Ones*. Annie is coming up with increasingly fanciful and hare-brained schemes to reverse the rural-urban migration problem. He happens to explain one to a migrant prostitute, who berates Annie for trying to send her back to the village. All Annie can do is mumble something like "obviously these schemes don't work on an individual basis," but he got the point.

* Whole film on youtube, for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yfO3qiH5zs