Early in my so-called career I used to work very long hours.

At my first  "real" job -- technical writer at computer maker Data General --it
was because with no formal training in computer science, or programming, or
technical writing, I really didn't know what the hell I was doing, and I was
starting late -- I was 27 or 28 years old.  So, like the Red Queen, I had to
run hard just to stay in place. I didn't want to get fired, and I had a lot to
learn.  But remember also, Data General was the place memorialized by Tracy
Kidder in his book Soul of a New Machine, which described pretty accurately
both the cynical manipulation of young computer engineers by management, along
the lines of  "churn 'em & burn 'em", and the willing collusion of the young
engineers in their own manipulation. The "Hardy Boys" & "Microkids" of Data
General were willing to work around the clock for months on end because of the
rush they got from it. It might just be the puritan work ethic, so-called, but
signing on does provide positive re-enforcement, not just negative/guilt
pressure. Tom West, the central figure in Soul of a New Machine, described it
as 'pinball'. Your reward for winning is that you get to play again, nothing
more than that.

After Data General I worked at a succession of companies in their start-up
phases, where working around the clock was more or less expected, but there was
the added incentive of big stock options, so if the company succeeded you might
get rich. None of those companies is still in existence. At only one of them,
Sun Microsystems, where I worked for nearly nine years, did my stock options
amount to anything. I generally cashed in my options every year or two, and
they netted me about $5,000 (perhaps $10,000 in today's money)/year. Certainly
welcome money, but nothing close to the scale of making me rich.  But in every
other case my stock options proved worthless, or nearly so (I made $2,000,
total, from my MassComp stock).

[I tried to capture the dynamics  of the hacker rush/burnout curve in my novel
Acts of the Apostles, for whatever that's worth.]

I cannot imagine any scenario in which I would willingly work that way for
anybody else again. Although I might work that hard for myself, if I felt
inspired & thought I had a good idea.

jrs