On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM, John Sundman <j...@wetmachine.com> wrote:

> Our father was a volunteer firefighter and I'm a volunteer firefighter. I
> cannot imagine my wealthy brother joining his local department.  I would
> rather spend a weekend in a Massachusetts Firefighting Academy course about
> hazardous materials then jetting to Colorado to ski down a hill. My wife
> and I also run a food bank for poor people. That's a lot of hard, unpaid
> work for which we rarely get a thank you.  Had I hit the jackpot, I don't
> think I would be doing that.
>
> [...]
>
> I don't think I've answered your question, but at least I'n the same zip
> code.

You are and indeed, you have answered my unstated, underlying question. I
feel there's a fine line between contentment and laziness that is easily
missed. Having oscillated quite a bit on either side of that line myself, I
am curious to explore where people lie on the spectrum, and what can be
learned from their experiences.

-Sriram