Related: http://www.city-journal.org/html/11_1_ecstatic_capitalisms.html/

A 2001 long-form piece that examines the work culture of the dot-com
community and gathers together many more related strands of how this
is changing how we live.

"""
Allison Behr, the 29-year-old public-relations director who is showing
me around, tells me that she works 11 hours a day, except during the
weeks near the Christmas rush, when everyone at Sparks burns the
midnight oil. In her world, this is no oddity—area legend has it that
when a 24-year-old Netscape programmer told a survey company that he
worked between 110 and 120 hours per week, the researcher objected
that his computerized questionnaire wouldn't accept a number that big.
"""

"""
Nineteenth-century utopian novels like Bellamy's Looking Backward and
William Dean Howells's A Traveler from Altruia assumed that progress
would inevitably lead to leisure, with time for hobbies, civic
engagement, family, and neighborly sociability.
"""

"""
Ecstatic capitalism has bored so deeply into the national psyche that
it has even changed how Americans think of childhood. For just as
every day Mom goes off to work—as did 59 percent of women with babies
under one year old in 1998, vs. 31 percent in 1976—and Dad goes off to
work, so baby . . . well, goes to work. While a generation ago,
experts saw infancy as a time to develop healthy emotional
attachments, contemporary parenting magazines and advice books are
obsessed with "learning" or what Newsweek has called "building baby's
brain," presumably for the demands of knowledge work.
[...]
After a lesson-packed infancy, the new-economy baby must begin school
as early as possible. One New York City foreign-language program
starts babies at six months—before they can talk—and public pressure
is mounting for universal preschool for three- and four-year-olds. For
today's five-year-old, a full day's work is mandatory
"""

~ash