On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Bharat Shetty <bharat.she...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> Nice article. I've been guilty of shooting beyond 40 hours a week
> easily despite efforts to curb it.

What efforts specifically? Desire is not effort of course, and while
there can be exceptions for brief periods of time - once one decides
to never dedicate one's life to a single workplace then no one usually
cares to object.

> 1. Working on something where you are a pro in terms of skills. Lesser
> the pro you are, you have to spend time reading up on many stuff and
> mastering the stuff that you counter in your daily work before
> implementing and executing those stuff.

The problem is if you never start working on anything else then you
will never get to be a pro at anything else.

There's a quote from Zorba the Greek that goes like this:

Alexis Zorba: Damn it boss, I like you too much not to say it. You've
got everything except one thing: madness! A man needs a little
madness, or else...
Basil: Or else?
Alexis Zorba: ...he never dares cut the rope and be free.

Perhaps it's a good thing to every few years try something you are not
a pro at - once you have half a dozen or more skill sets the feeling
of liberation and freedom one has is quite something else.

> 2. Culture and such. Depends on the environment in your company or
> work place. Sometimes you need support from others to finish tasks
> asap. Any laxness on others part (for eg: late reviews, late
> discussions etc) makes it only tougher for you etc.

I know people who hate the apartments they live in, but never actually
bother moving because it's too difficult to move, or there's  a false
belief that all apartments are equally bad in some way or the other.

Work is the same thing - don't be afraid to quickly change two or
three jobs until you find one you really like.

Sometimes it becomes necessary to quit a city or a culture because the
local maximum in that region is just not good enough, just like
sometimes it is necessary to change neighborhoods to find a good
apartment.

Change is also good because it makes you aware of the really important
things in your life, and the things that are just taking up space.

I hate change, and I have a problem quitting a good thing when it has
stopped being a good thing, but despite that I've lived in maybe 8
cities in the last 10 years, some cities were less than a year, and
some cities were 2-3 years, and I know that the last decade has been
phenomenal for me in terms of personal growth.

Give change a chance. There is no need to accept reality as immutable.

Cheeni