On Sun, 2012-12-30 at 10:22 -0800, Radhika, Y. wrote:
> If our education created an entire class of over educated, insecure
> people who then left India, those choosing to stay behind - the overly
> judgemental, over confident desis are no great shakes either. Shining
> India or Overly Glossy India? Only after all our mud settles, will
> something truly unique and worth emulating surface! I have noticed
> something similar amongst Latinos and other Asians as well. Economies
> and psyches still in transition - most Americans who meet each other
> don't seem to have this need to dismiss each other - something to be
> said for Yankee opportunism - why dismiss when you can profit instead?

Educated Indians only feel contempt for other Indians and most get angry
when they are told about it. Education is aimed at teaching Indians that
their own history is worthless. It may well be worthless but that makes
all Indians equally worthless by virtue of their history. It is only
after an Indian starts feeling less worthless that he (or she) gets into
lecture mode about everyone else's worthlessness.

If some Indians feel that India is shining or glossy, there should be no
real need for anyone to put that group down and state that the
glossiness is false. It seems to embarrass some Indians if other Indians
say that something Indian is good. It is OK to laugh at mindless Indian
pride. Lots of people laugh at or mock Indian silliness and inane pride
in Indian rubbish. But only fellow Indians get into lecture mode to try
and correct the course of other Indians who seem stupid and proud about
something. So there remains (among Indians) a strange sense of
attachment to India and a desire to "correct the course" of Indians who
seem stupid or embarrassing.

I find this interesting...

shiv