On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 20:07 +0530, Venkat Mangudi - Silk wrote:
> We, many Indians, believe that we invented our discovered most
> things.

Would you be able to say if anything was invented or discovered at all
in India?

As far as my recent reading goes, there are some interesting things that
happened in India but they happened in a period of such great antiquity
that they are all dismissed as mumbo jumbo. This is ironic because the
ancestors of many people on this list were responsible for retaining a
memory of some of those things until the education system in India was
modified to ignore those earlier things and learn what we know now. And
at least some of what we have been taught is absolute nonsense. Lies
concocted for academic and racial convenience would not be an
exaggerated expression to use in this regard. The persecution of
TamBrams in Tamil Nadu is a direct consequence of the fake history that
has been conjured up for us which we otherwise digest with gusto.

It is another matter that there was little personal loss and much
personal gain for those who chose modern education. But there has been
some loss because most of us don't even know what we don't know because
we have been told that what has been rejected is not worth knowing.

Strictly speaking that is not true, apart from the fact that it impacts
Indian psyche in so many ways that most people do not seem to
recognize.

shiv