Thanks for the input everyone; this is highly relevant to what I’m facing,
and it’s been valuable.  I left Google in March and I’ve been romancing
with a few companies but I’m increasingly realizing that I don’t want
another job.  Savings are decent so we could entirely abandon income but
we’d have to scale back the lifestyle a bit. Which might not be bad.  I’ve
actually been working like a madman these last few months on nifty privacy
and crypto stuff, and plan to keep on doing it; just need to find someone
who’ll pay me for doing this…  How much I care about that, and how much
about not scaling back the lifestyle; well, we’ll find about that.

--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)