"Charles Haynes" <charles.hay...@gmail.com> wrote:

It's certainly possible that we will automate ourselves out of the
need for "jobs" but that's only a problem if you believe that
existing structures of wealth accumulation and distribution are
appropriate for such a world. It seems obvious that they are not. It
could be unrest, or it could be an unparalleled opportunity to
provide basic needs universally and allow for unprecedented
creativity.

I think the expectation of "unprecedented creativity" is not merely unfounded, but dangerous.

Yes, the sort of folk on this list would certainly become more creative and constructive if let free of economic concerns. And the voluntary "work" of such creatives may well be of immense benefit to our species and planet.

But recall please that fully half the population has below average IQ (by definition). There is also a half of humanity with below average understanding, aspiration, and ability to do creative work.

The challenge to an economic utopia isn't building it or even maintaining it. The challenge is to provide something for the lumpenproletariat to do with their free time that is not more destructive than what the creatives produce.

Even the ambitious who fight to obtain control of this utopia can be handled (at least I hope so, the upcoming US election will be a test case). But occupying the time of the vast hordes of bored and restive non-creatives will be a challenge, and it's a challenge I have not yet seen addressed anywhere this side of Orwell.

But perhaps that unprecedented creativity will include a solution; we must hope it will provide one in time.

Cheers,
/ Bruce /