Fascinating thread. I have a slightly contrarian view.

Probably not very relevant to silklisters but I am very wary when my clients
talk about early retirement. Not because they would put their financial
independence at risk, but because they hugely overestimate their ability to
fill the day with meaningful pursuits. A typical conversation (which occurs
very frequently, I might add) would go along the lines of

Client - I would like to explore retirement by 50.
Shyam - Given your financial situation, it is quite likely you will be able to
do that from a financial perspective. But what do you plan to do after you
retire?
Client - I really want to make time for the things I enjoy. I want to spend
more time with the family (First red flare), travel (second red flare), and
volunteer my time with NGOs (big third red flare) or coaching young
professionals or start-ups
Shyam - Great. How specific are your plans?
Client - What do you mean?
Shyam - Is there a specific NGO you have already been associated with? / Do you
currently mentor start-ups or coach?
Client - Not really. But I am sure I can easily figure that out. I mean, I
don't want any money for it.

I fear that the above describes someone who will wake up six months later with
nothing to do during the day, and drives everyone around him / her up the wall!
For someone aged 50, they need a plan that will last decades, not months. Their
family perhaps doesn't want them hanging around all the time. Their life's
travels can be completed in six months, and reasonably well-run NGOs want a
volunteer who comes and wishes to optimize/streamline/improve the set-up like
they want a bullet to the head. For many, work gives them identity and
self-worth. My advice for someone without specifics is to work for as long as
they can. For most people, there is 20% of the job that makes the remaining 80%
worth it.

Like I said at the beginning, the above probably doesn't apply to the typical
intelligent, multi-dimensional silklister.

Warm regards

Shyam