On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 7:49 AM Anil Kumar <anilkumar.naga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Any takers for a book recommendation thread this year?
>
> Two books I enjoyed reading are:
>
> 1. This Divided Island - Samanth Subramaniam.

2. A Beginner's Guide to Japan - Pico Iyer.

I also enjoyed 'Autumn Light' by Pico Iyer.

Other books that I read and enjoyed in 2019:

* We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families
(Gourevitch, Philip) : Excellent book about the Rwandan genocide, and the
aftermath

* The Fat Years (Koonchung, Chan): Sometime after the 2008 Great Financial
Crisis, China becomes the dominant world superpower following the collapse
of the Western economies. But there seems to be a collective amnesia in
China. People don't seem to remember what happened during some crucial
months. Only a handful seem to be immune from this amnesia.

* A Fish Caught in Time: The Search for the Coelacanth (Weinberg, Samantha)
: The story of the discovery of the Coelacanth.

Thaths