So, do you put it in the crock pot turned on with nothing else in the crock pot? Will that crack the pottery?

I use a margerine lid with the silver wire poking through the top to cover my jar, and that keeps the dust out. It also keeps the wires in place pretty good.

Heat does seem to work as a stirrer.

kathryn