I use a 3 nine generator, I  like the do-it-myself thing.

I used some instructions like this, and used a flashlight to see- otherwise I couldn't tell the yellowish wisps. I think with these insructions you don't have to stir. Stirring does not affect the rate of ion release. When you want a higher ppm brew, you can add one, it helps keep the cute little ions away from each other and the other pesky electrode, on which they will plate out, and be removed from your solution.

For stirring, I got a nite light for the bathroom, the kind that uses a clear xmas tree lightbulb, and put a hole in a bean dip can to put the bulb through. Now I have a thermal stirrer I can set my jar on. A pineapple can may be better, it is a little heavier.

Sometimes I still get a buildup of tan stuff on one electrode, and if I disconnect the correct wire, it will get it to stick a little better so it doesn't drift off into the water so much when I remove it. If I disconnect the wrong wire, it will just make more. So I think I disconnect the blackish wire, and leave the tan one hooked up. I forget which polarity it is.

15 or 20 minutes to start sounds okay to me.

I got a margerine lid to hold my electrodes, and space them 2 inches or 1& 3/4 inches apart.

After awhile of making it this way, I decided to control the current better, and went down to the local Ax Man and picked up a variable resistor called a potentiometer and hooked it up in series. I got a better grip on the current that way, and didn't have to watch it so close. I think mine is 75 ohm. I also use a multimeter to check on how things are going current wise, also in series. Then I got a microseimans meter, and look out, she's going for the gold ring now!

I am one happy camper.

Good Luck, Kathryn