Dennis and Dee wondered at anyone using detergents in a bath.
For better or worse, my mother some sixty years ago used to use Tide
detergent in our baths.  I doubt whether it did us any good, but I never had
evidence of irritation or harm.  It left the bath surface nice and clean.
I never did it in my own household, though.
However, my reading in recent years indicates that what is sold as shampoo,
personal care products, etc. is not generally of better quality than laundry
products.  I don't suppose bubble baths are any better in quality.
Also, manufacturers probably take into account the fact that some people
wash clothes with their hands in the water.

This is from the Sun website:

Section II - Hazardous Ingredients
Ingredients            TLV                        PEL         STEL      CAS
No.
Sodium carbonate        n/a                            n/a            n/a
497-19-8
Enzyme (if listed as an ingredient)
   Subtilisin                                6x10-5 mg/m3              none
none          9014-01-1
Nonionic surfactant      n/a                            n/a            n/a
9016-45-9
Sodium perborate        n/a                            n/a            n/a
10332-33-9
Sodium                     n/a                            n/a            n/a
25515-30-0
   Dodecylbenzene-
   sulfonate
Section VI - Toxicological & Health Hazard Data
LD50:                                      Not determined.
Threshold Limit Value:        Not determined.
Effects of Acute Exposure:
Ingestion:              Irritation of membranes may occur.
Inhalation:             Prolonged exposure may produce headaches and mucous
membrane irritation.
Skin Contact:        Direct contact may cause irritation. (I take this to
mean undiluted on the skin, not in a bathful of water)
Eye Contact:         Direct contact will cause irritation.
Effects of Chronic Exposure:    None determined.
Carcinogen Status:    Non-carcinogenic.

SECTION IX - REGULATORY INFORMATION
SARA Title III (Superfund Amendment and Reauthorization Act)
  Section 302 - Extremely Hazardous Substances: None
  Section 304 - Release Reporting:    Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate
           Reportable Quantity: 1,000 lbs.
  Section 311/312 - Material Safety Data Sheet Requirements:    None
  Section 313 - Toxic Chemicals: None at or above de minimus concentrations.

Phosphates having come in for bad press, as have enzymes, manufacturers are
looking for alternatives.

Said a recent article in Time:
The chemical composition or possible dangers of the phosphate-free brands
are largely unknown. Most use sodium carbonate, which has a higher alkaline
content than detergents and common soaps and could, if used improperly,
damage eyes and mucous membranes. Since most laundry experts agree that
phosphates clean best and brightest, the new brands could presage a return
to the old tattletale-gray washes. Still, in only six months or so the
phosphate-free products have captured 3% of the market.

A comparison of the ingredients in shampoos, bubble baths, hand washing
liquids, and household detergents might be rather interesting.

Where do they get the phosphates from, anyway?  To find out, I typed a
search on phosphates mining.  My first hit says:
The type of phosphate found on Nauru and a few other Pacific islands, which
is a combination of limestone and guano, is part of a larger grouping called
phosphate rock. .... Phosphate rock formed primarily from guano, such as
that found on Nauru, plays a smaller role in terms of worldwide supply and
demand. ... The phosphate is actually a composite of two materials which
have combined and solidified over the eons: decayed oceanic microorganisms
and bird droppings. These elements intertwined with the coral and limestone
that forms the island, and extraction of the phosphate left behind deep pits
and tall pillars, some as high as 75 feet. This creates a moon-like scene,
which contributes to the incultivable and uninhabitable atmosphere.

Lots of other interesting stuff on phosphates.

Shampoo and detergents: http://www.searchlores.org/realicra/shampa1.htm

"You can save a lot of money. Instead of using shampoo, just use your liquid
dishwashing detergent and it will have the same effect," said Fenster, who
pointed out that in terms of active chemistry, shampoo and dishwashing
detergent is the same thing. http://www.mcgill.ca/reporter/36/04/harm/

>From a variety of websites, it looks as if the main difference between
detergents and shampoo is the smell.

For something as horrific as Morgellons, the use of detergent in the bath
seems a very small risk, I would think.  If it makes the alfalfa useful, all
the better.

Rowena

Does soaking in laundry detergent not burn on certain delicate body parts?