Jonathan B. Britten wrote:
In Japan, as I write, there's a big scandal about honey, both domestic and imported. Some mfgrs. have been adding sweeteners to their "pure" honey had at last were found out. Lots of "pure honey" on sale at half price in the groceries these days!

I am not sure how the scam was exposed.

Turns out that telling if sugar has been added to honey is pretty simple. Sugar molecules have handedness, and will rotate light by a certain amount right or left depending on the sugar and the handedness of the molecule. If I remember right the handedness of pure honey is one direction, unless made from sucrose, in which it is then the other direction. So a simple test with polarized light can determine if it has been adulterated this way, and if so, how much.

Marshall