Hi Ruth,

You should consider going on a liquid-only diet for a week. This will allow your digestive system to do some house cleaning, clearing out toxins. A more aggressive approach would be to do a week long water fast, but I've been unable to do this for more than three days because of muscle weakness.

David

ruth strackbein wrote:
Hi, Wayne, I guess I must have left out that it was 4-6 oz of prune juice in my post. I have read your post to Dee, I have tried to use a great deal of what you suggest, but tolerate very little of it. Just now I feel I need to follow through on what this Dr. is telling me. We are trying to avoid surgery for an overlong exceedingly slow transit time bowel, 7-8 days from mouth to rectum. Ten years ago a similar test had a transit time of 4 days. I was eating more normally way back then, but never have been able to tolerate apples or alot of raw food, though I would like to. This Dr. is a gastroenterology surgeon. Dr. Tombers is a plain gastroenterologist. His opinion was that there isn't a medicine outhere that will fix what is wrong with my bowel. Both Docs have looked at the recent X-rays. The surgeon is just highly aware of the severe problems that can result from removing 90% of your colon and wants to avoid that if at all possible. Food residue tends to collect in odd places in my colon and back things up. I live in a small village 20 miles from my regular doctor. I tend to get edgy as the weekend approaches, because I know that if I get into trouble over the weekend, the emergency room is of no help whatever. Don't have time for more, but thanks for your suggestions. Ruth