A better rule of thumb is take your body weight, divide by 2
and this is the number of ounces of water needed per day.
This comes out to one half ounce of water per pound
per day. Note that this may exceed 8 cups a day for some.

A half ounce per pound seems a reasonable amount to me to
keep the body both hydrated and flushed.

'Seems reasonable' is not what I would call a good general rule of thumb.

The recommendation you gave above - again - has no scientific basis in *fact*.

Basing a recommendation solely on body weight is meaningless. Other factors that would *have* to be considered before it would even *begin* to be 'reasonable' would be:

1. Environment (does the person live in the Sahara desert or in Maine?)

2. Activity level (sedentary or active lifestyle)?

3. Dietary habits (does the person eat a lot of high water content foods?)

4. Current state of health/BMI (is the person obese?)

Etc... see my point?