http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/benefiber_change.asp

   Benefiber Change

As of July 2006, Benefiber has announced that all of their products will no longer contain partially hydrolized guar gum. Benefiber will now be made from wheat dextrin. According to a phone representative at Novartis, the makers of Benefiber, this decision was made to allow for smaller dosages and for a higher profit margin. Benefiber guar gum provided 3 grams of soluble fiber per tablespoon, whereas Benefiber wheat dextrin provides 1.5 grams of soluble fiber per teaspoon (there are three teaspoons in one tablespoon).

I do not know how wheat dextrin compares to guar gum as a soluble fiber supplement for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I would not assume that the wheat dextrin in Benefiber is safe for people with wheat allergies or gluten intolerance disorders such as celiac.

Barbara wrote:

Hi Ruth,
Even better is the one called BENEFIBER. It contains 100% wheat dextrin and nothing else. Here is a site. http://www.benefiber.com/products/index.shtml?benefiberPowders Barbara

    Hi, Kathryn, I said awhile back that I would not reply anymore. I
    will
however , but will avoid anatomy references where possible. Sometimes a bit difficult. I have found a different fiber med
    called Unifiber which contains Cellulose, cornsyrup solids and
    Xanthem gum.  That isn't much better than the others, but easier
    to use and doesn't burn.  Ruth

    From Ruth Strackbein