Hi, Barbara, I didn't buy the Benefiber after all, found a different one that works similarly but does not have wheat. But thanks , anyway, your message sent me looking for something different. Ruth

From Ruth Strackbein

From: G Murray <kg...@sasktel.net>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>The Poor Colon and Pro-Biotics
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:50:06 -0600

I just googled the wheat dextrin as I had not heard of this before and wondered about Irritable bowel.

Barbara wrote:

I do not have any problems with Benefiber because I have no
alergies and no gluten intolerances.  Barbara

    http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/benefiber_change.asp

        Benefiber Change

    As of July 2006, Benefiber has announced that all of their
    products will no longer contain partially hydrolized guar gum.
    Benefiber will now be made from wheat dextrin. According to a
    phone representative at Novartis, the makers of Benefiber, this
    decision was made to allow for smaller dosages and for a higher
    profit margin. Benefiber guar gum provided 3 grams of soluble
    fiber per tablespoon, whereas Benefiber wheat dextrin provides 1.5
    grams of soluble fiber per teaspoon (there are three teaspoons in
    one tablespoon).

    I do not know how wheat dextrin compares to guar gum as a soluble
    fiber supplement for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I would not assume
    that the wheat dextrin in Benefiber is safe for people with wheat
    allergies or gluten intolerance disorders such as celiac.