--On 22 September 2007 22:26:59 -0500 CWFugitt <c_wa...@earthlink.net> wrote:

The problem is, the food is inferior, and we do not work hard enough to
eat enough food to get the needed supplements.

Study the amount of food our ancestors ate  75, 100 or more years ago and
you will be amazed at the amount they ate.

They were mining minerals from 5 to 10 times the food we eat each day.

In the  50's I worked for a nearby farmer.  He fed the workers lunch.
His wife cooked meals that made most Thanksgiving dinners pale and puny.

All kinds of vegetables, several raw fruits and vegetables,  several
gravies, several kinds of hot bread,  several kinds of meat.

I guess she realized that to help people deliver good work she had to
cook something everyone liked.

All of it was delicious and workers had a super appetite.

The soil was better then than now.  But the era I referenced above was 25
to 50 years before that.  Even better soil and people worked harder,
often from daylight until dark.

The work was not child's play.  I was a teenager then and did the work of
a grown man.

This could have contributed to my health for the next 50 or so years.

Ah, that sounds like you still find in rural France, especially during harvest times. The workers have their own breakfast of course, but still they are stopped at 10.30 for a 'cascroute' which roughl ymeans picnic, or a 'lunch you'd carry in your pocket'. That meal itself would blow you away, with its cheeses, meats (sausages and potted), breads and fruits. As much wine as you can hold. The lunch is served on a rough table, and has five courses and as much as you want, plus trimmings of potted and dried meats, and salads. After the harvest season is over, which may be tow to four weeks or more, depending on the crop, each Farm also has a Feast to top it it all off!

All the food was lovingly cooked and prepared, super-delicious, local and fresh. The soil was lovely too. You would work very hard. That, and building work certainly contributed to my health, along with good food. I also think that in modern times the food lacks minerals, this came to my notice because someone probably mentioned it on the silver list writing about silver in food, and I came across papers written on it. MAybe that artly accounts for insipid taste in a lot of food from supermarkets. Another reason is the handling of food - like they don't pick it when it's ripe.

It's another story with the allotment though. Interestingly, children love all this fruit and vegetables and chew and suck on the flavours with intense concentration but not so much the supermarket stuff.

Maybe Wayne gives good advice to you then, about supplements. I don't take them myself, but I do grow my own food. The stuff which I buy is selected carefully, like Indian mangoes from ethnic stores. Also, we use a lot of seeds in our preparations, like fennel, mustard, anise, cumin, and so on, which are super nutrient-rich.

JOhn.