Okay, it only took an hour or so before what I thought would happen
happened.

Let's lay out the sequence of messages:

MaryAnn wrote:
> OK -- I was unable to find Anatolian Treasures.  MA

Charles replied:
> Must not have looked very hard... google on "anatolian treasures
> oregano" and the very first two hits are:
>
> http://www.av-at.com/

Dan commented:
> > I would appreciate it if you made a slight effort to appear less
> > judgmental.

Charles retorts:
> And I'd appreciate it if you minded your own business.

Scoring:

Charles scolding MaryAnn: -1

Dan playing List Cop: -1

Charles defensive response: -1

Charles, Dan is right. It will entirely depend on Maryann's good nature
if she's not to be offended by your tone. It takes skill and care to
express even mild disapproval in this medium without being
unintentionally harsh. That wasn't good enough.

Dan, however right you may have been, playing List Cop gets you two
things: Snarky replies from your target and the ire of the REAL List
Cop. Next time call the precinct before taking a garden hose to the
neighbor's dog. You'll be less likely to be ticketed for disturbing the
peace.

I knew as soon as Dan spoke up I'd be writing something like this.

<sigh>

And now, back to your regularly scheduled list activities.

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner