Hi MA,

here are a couple of the links I read when I first responded to your mail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoplasmosis

"Histoplasmosis, also known as Darling's disease,[1] is a disease caused by the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum. Its symptoms vary greatly, but the disease primarily affects the lungs. Occasionally, other organs are affected—this form of the disease is called disseminated histoplasmosis, and it can be fatal if untreated."

There are other lung diseases that one can catch from bird or bat droppings. Any lung disease will make it hard to breathe. It is too bad that many drs do not do the job of educating patients. But now that we have the internet, we can do a great deal of it on our own. Some drs hate that, but others encourage it.

Best Wishes,

Kathryn

**** Thanks Marshall -- I appreciate the input.  I'm printing out all the replies to this thread -- except for one -- and am pursuing the various links that people have provided.  You're the first person to mention that Histoplasmosis causes trouble breathing -- that's something that I would have expected the doctors to know and to tell him.  Thanks again.  MA