  From: Deborah Gerard
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:58 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>How much is too much?/was Kathryn..Potassium/now Debbie,
Leslie, Smitty, Faith

  Jodi send the aritcle to me privately I would love to read it thanks...debbie

  Jodi <jwmen...@cox.net> wrote:
    ---- Deborah Gerard wrote:

    > I don't know why the dosage on the bottles that we buy is soo extremely
low but it isn't nearly enough...so glad you are doing good Jodi
    ____________

    Thank you Debbie. And I was shocked about how low the dosage is, too.
According to my bottle of potassium, one 99 mg. caplet (I'm taking potassium
gluconate) is 3% of the "daily value". So, I guess the recommended amount as a
supplement is currently around 3,300 mg. daily (3% of 3,300 = 90). But, it's a
known fact that the RDA of most nutrients is way too low. One could easily
deplete oneself of 3,300 mg. of potassium in just a few hours on a hot day,
simply by sweating. Then we would end up tapping and depleting our 'potassium
stores' (potassium stored in and outside our cells) which is supposed to stay
above 4000 mmol or 72,000 mg. I guess they expect us to either eat bananas all
day long, or pop these little pills like crazy, which is exactly what I've
resorted to. [grin]

    Leslie: Potassium deficiency symptoms and diseases associated with or
caused by potassium deficiency:

    Constipation; weakness; fatigue; irregular heartbeat; heart disease;
inflammation; high blood pressure; muscle cramps, muscle pain, muscle numbness;
muscle weakness and/or muscle spasms; diabetes; weight gain; rheumatoid
arthritis; cancer.

    One of the reasons they keep telling us to eat fruit and vegetables is
because of the potassium content. If you don't eat alot of fruits and veggies,
and you aren't taking diuretics, and you don't have adrenal issues, or kidney
disease, then you should somehow supplement potassium.