> You use three batteries - what size are they?  Are they rechargeable?
> How have you got the three batteries joined together?

I use 4 square 9V batteries hooked in series.
9 X 4 = 36V
The clips of one snap together on another. Once the four are
snapped together, use alligator clips on the 2 remaining posts.
1 plus and 1 minus.
I use silver Canadian Maple Leaf coins, which you may be
able to find at any coin/stamp shop. and attach them to a
small board with plastic clips holding the coins.
Pour distilled water into a qt. glass jar until the coins are
half covered with water.

Smitty