I too made CS using salt when I started out. The benefits are
simplicity and speed. It produces more than enough concentration in
just a few minutes without worrying about gunk building up on the
electrodes, switching polarity, or anything else at all.

The downside was visible settling and shortened shelf life in the
finished product. But used within a few days, it seemed to work.

The move towards pure water without additives was motivated by the
discovery that this created smaller particles that didn't settle out
and extended shelf life. The downside, of course, was lengthy
production time, more sensitivity to conditions, and dealing with
the fluffy silver deposits on the negative electrode.

Edith wrote:
> I ... always wondered if I couldn't get distilled water, how I
> would make the stuff.???

Darned good question. However, making it coffee and orange juice
suggests that, in a pinch, just about anything would do.

Karen wrote:
> In Africa, my friends don't have access to distilled water  or
> electricity (that's why I'm sending battery generators.)  So how
> would you purify regular water?  Has anyone actually had "bad"
> water tested after being treated with cs?

Try solar power, too, or at least solar chargers for lead-acid gel
cells or nickel metal hydride rechargeables. Still, you'll get a lot
of service from a single set of batteries, so I'm probably worrying
too much.

Just getting enough silver into the water to sterilize it would
probably take only a few minutes per gallon, would be my guess. Yes,
you'd make all sorts of low concentration silver compounds, but if
you didn't over do it they'd probably not be as harmful as, oh, say,
dysentery?

Anybody have any experience in this?

Larry wrote:

>  Sometimes I wonder if we haven't made making cs overly complicated
>  in our attempt to improve on something that I don't think we really
>  know much about in the first place.

At some level this is quite true.

HVAC systems and LVDC units with some of the latest ideas on current
limiting and polarity switching both seem to be pushing the limits
of consistent, stable, long lived product with good effectiveness.
Yet, the product they produce is not that much better in actual use
than that from the original, simplest setups.

I hope that the widespread development of processes and equipment
for making consistent CS can advance the organized study of how well
it works, and by what mechanisms, which is lagging hopelessly behind
the flood of anecdotal results.

Be well,

Mike D.

[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]