You would like the FDA to tell you where you can get food from?
More freedom for the consumer, they catch hell, less freedom, they catch hell.
 Shelve something because someone had a problem, they catch hell.
Don't respond fast enough in taking things off shelves and they catch hell.
That's gotta be why the FDA exists...just to catch hell.
Oh well, at least that's easier to be perfect at.

10 people out of 100 million get Salmonella and whole industries grind to a halt with nothing left to eat BUT irradiated imports. Suck it up industry, and don't raise prices to cover the losses when half a million tons of produce becomes compost. ..and you wonder why they investigate how to sterilize food with the least damage possible.
 Is some damage better than a nation wide recall?  You bet it is.
It's come down to either that, or no cheap commercially grown produce.

So what's it gonna be?

Look out for yourself some, or have someone else do it for you.... then hamper them into stagnation when doing it is difficult?

Lookie, go to your local organic market where the farmer just down the road autographs every carrot and pets every chicken and pay the price.
He ALWAYS washes his hands.  [not]

Most people in the world grow and pick their own food and eat their "own" germies? Others wash and/or blanch it?? [wilted lettuce, very popular ..with "vinegar" ?? ] But Americans expect perfection from hordes of cheap illiterate labor that poops in a ditch like they've done for millennia and won't pay what it costs to use more educated "American" labor...as though an American would pick lettuce for *any* wage these days.

Would YOU toast your buttocks bending over in the sun day after day, year after year for ..oh say... $20 an hour, with benifits?
 Would someone else pay that cost when they buy that produce?
 Naw.  YOU would be the greedy target of consumer complaints.

Crap, I've done my share of migrant labor making $15-$20 a day picking oranges and grapefruit...it's heat stoke hot, with rattle snakes and very-sharp-thorns that break off in your finger tips and fester and give you "Tiger stripe" scratch welts that form scars all over your body. THOSE GUYS ARE AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was pretty tough back then, but I didn't last long. [Rattle snake with orange sauce is pretty darned tasty, though. ]

Count your blessings that its' not *your* puss getting on the fruit as your swollen fingers throb all night...just to start over again at dawn, day after day after sweltering day eating salt pills to stay conscious and very little breakfast so you don't puke before noon. I'll take a few second hand gamma rays over another day in the groves, any time.

If you don't "pick", you don't know what choice is.

..very quick on the condemnation draw.
  What happened to walking a mile in anothers shoes?
 You have ANY idea what [any] "they" are up against?
No, ya'll never even thought to think about it...just blast away and never mind the rubble.
 No such a  thing as a "big picture".
No one else should have problems.
I guess every one *else* is supposed to be perfect and if they aren't, they're out to kill you.

I do declare! It must be a tough life to not be able to see anything, but, in shades of black. Even that Tiger Striped grove worker has joy in his short painful sun burned life...laughing and singing through it all.
 They aren't starving in a mud hovel anymore and life is GOOD.

OK, so if "they" can't do EVERYTHING juuust right, don't do anything at all..... and it'll be a perfect world.
[Oh wait, no one is doing anything...danged perfect rubble. ]

I think I'll go barbecue a Jewish scapegoat over some worthless dirty fingered sun dried Mexicans now...that'll fix my attitude. Then, I too can cringe in fear when someone else isn't doing the impossible ...for me...to make my little closeted dependent life, risk free. ..while others suffer daily realities I could never dream of while sitting here in the dark with air conditioning and indoor plumbing, expecting perfection. ..and not knowing a DAMNED THING about what it takes to make things as-good-as-they-are.

jesus kee-riest
Talk about disgusting.

I mean, get up and walk around a little !!!
Look at the realities of the alternatives before condemning that which you have no knowledge or experience of.

Ode