The average speed of ions is determined by two main factors. First the force on the ion, which is a product the voltage gradient, and the charge of the ion, divided by the weight of the ion gives it an acceleration rate. During this time of acceleration it goes from 0 average velocity (actually a low velocity in a random direction due to Browning movement) to an ever increasing velocity toward the other electrode. However before very long, it bumps into another molecule, losing much or all of it's inertia, and is back to the normal thermal movement.

I believe the paper at http://books.google.com/books?id=MX68gp3KYCYC&pg=PA262&lpg=PA262&dq=electrophoresis+velocities&source=web&ots=fjQ7xylbiI&sig=99i_iuIDNiqciABuKXnsLvz9Oo8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA1,M1 covers this is depth but have not read but a few paragraphs since it is 260 or so pages long.

Marshall

Wayne Fugitt wrote:
Evening Marshall,