  From: sol
  To: sce2...@windstream.net
  Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 8:34 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>OT > multiple chemical sensitivity and infections

  I think iodine is one reason I have trouble with armour type dessicated
  thyroids. T4, the inactive storage hormone, converts to T3 the active
  thyroid hormone by loss of an iodine atom. Which leaves a bunch of free
  iodine running around. Last time I tried switching from T3 only to a
  dessicated thyroid, I began to get very itchy. Of course, T3 also
  converts to T2 and T1, losing another iodine atom with each conversion,
  but I don't know how much free iodine those conversions produce, the
  major conversion is the first one, from T4 to T3. I think a T4 only med
  would cause me even more trouble than armour.
  Your compounded T4 could also have contained additional iodine
  containing ingredients in addition to the thyroid hormone itself. I'm
  very wary of compounded anything, unless I can find out every single
  component ingredient. Rx and OTC products usually must state what is in
  them, but compounded products don't have to so far as I can find out.
  sol