i have an NRI (national radio institute) correspondence course circa late
70's of about 100+ little booklets in communications electronics that takes
one from ground 0 through to a technician level understanding of
communications radio, and it's old enough that microprocessors are NOT
included but tubes and transistors are.  there ARE some more recent lesson
books from another course that get into intro microprocessors (i think?)
that i pulled from the trash when i was sent to work at the printing place
that served NRI. $150 plus actual media mail shipping.  sorry, the kits to
build stuff are long gone.  as probably NRI is also?

i used to carry whatever booklet i was working on with me wherever Manpower
sent me to work, and would read a bit when i could.  i had the stuff down
real well for a long time, but after never finding employment in the field
or time/energy to work with it much alone i've now forgotten more than i'll
ever know about electronics.

if someone is seriously interested i'll dig it out and see if i can find a
table of contents
that i can scan.  i have a Bell & Howell/DeVry Audio course also, circa late
70's, in a dozen large binders, but that one's $1k and the kits are gone
also.  great stuff.

bobL