http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/alt/milkthistle_faq.htm
 Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum)
What does Milk Thistle do?

Herb- Milk Thistle Herb has been used medicinally by some people for
functional disorders of the liver and gallbladder. . It has been
considered especially helpful in cases jaundice, colitis, pleurisy, and
diseases of the spleen. Fruit- Milk Thistle Fruit has been used by some
for the treatment of dyspeptic symptoms, loss of appetite, liver and
gall bladder complaints including inflammation of the gall bladder duct,
toxic liver disease and hepatic cirrhosis. It has been used successfully
as an antidote to Death-Cap mushroom poisoning (mushroom toxins
a-amantin and phalloidin). It has been shown to protect the b.d. from
liver damage caused by overdose from acetaminophen, butyrophenones,
phenothiazines, halothane, Dilantin or ethanol. It may reduce outbreaks
of Psoriasis due to liver disease. Milk Thistle herb and fruit can be
taken in capsules, pills, infusions, or tinctures.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T13224.html

Most recently researchers found that the antioxidant activity of a milk
thistle seed extract reduced the liver damage typically seen in patients
who take prescription anti-psychotic drugs for extended periods and
particularly in death cap mushroom poisoning. Silymarin has been shown
to prevent and even reverse the toxic affect of mushroom (Amanita
phalloides) poisoning, which can cause death within 24 hours. It is able
to do this by specifically blocking the receptor for these toxins.