On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:49:17 -0700
Malcolm <s...@asis.com> wrote:

> Well and good!
> Mike Monet was an interesting and knowledgeable electrical engineer,
> with an enquiring mind and good math skills, was sometimes upset when
> people didn't see it his way (the ONLY way).  You are pushing for the
> opposite, in that you recognize humans, and the conditions in/by which
> they try to find things out, vary widely.
>
> OTOH, The double-blind cross-controlled experimental study as mandated
> by the FDA and loved by big pharma is just Marvy, except it assumes
> we're all just the same, or should be if we know what's good for us.
> At the sledgehammer level, sure.  Most of their meds are in the 5 to
> 500 mg level.  Compared to CS at 10 to 20 ppm that is a sledgehammer
> for sure. Another flaw in their protocols is that they assume testing
> a thousand people for one year equals testing 100 people for ten
> years; taint so M'Gee.  One of the virtues of the so-called anecdotal
> method, besides it makes for good stories, is that the evidence - oh,
> sorry, experience - is collected over much time and many different
> situations; it's 'small time' and we can hassle it out ourselves.  We
> don't have the deus ex authoritas of political or scientific
> regulation stifling our chance to find out for ourselves what works
> and how it best works for us. Each.
>
> Take care, avoid arcing!  Malcolm

Oh, there's plenty wrong with the FDA's requirements, no
doubt about it. But the cause is corruption, not ignorance. The
double blind cross-controlled study method is definitely a very good way
to acquire data, if it is done honestly and without employing
ridiculous loopholes (as you pointed out, 100 people x 10 years does
not equal 1000 people x 1 year).

At this point, it would be great if there were a study following users
of CS, since there are so many of us. It wouldn't be terribly hard to
do, just define some basic control parameters, find appropriate
subjects and medically monitor them. But I suppose Big Pharma is afraid
of those results. :)

As for fear of regulation, that is really a moot point. What are "they"
going to do, raid our homes and confiscate our generators? Make silver
a "controlled substance"? That'd be awfully hard to do...

indi