From: Linda Ellis <lellis4...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: CS>Bipolar disorder
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 10:37 PM

Dianne wrote:
>>Knowing someone has this problem up front and considering a relationship is
>>playing with fire.  RUN.

Bernadette adds:
> I have to agree with Indi. Been reading and waiting, but now will step in. My
> EX-SIL, is bi-polar. What a terrible disease. This bipolar person struggles.
> He is either flying so high and moving so quickly that it is impossible to
> calm him down or he is so low that he needs recreational drugs to pull
> himself back up.

Indi chimes in:
>>RUN, DON'T WALK.

There's a big difference between finding yourself already in a relationship of
some kind (parent? sibling? child?) with someone with this diagnosis, and
taking it on VOLUNTARILY.  It is a really tough thing to live with.  Although
my BIL has been relatively "stable" since 2002, when he was diagnosed, we are
still very concerned about some of his actions.  My SIL was also diagnosed in
2002, having gone from a soaring high-profile life with a money's-no-object
spouse to bankruptcy in a matter of months.  She has had two more relapses, and
I'm guessing that's why she can't find a job these days (employment law
notwithstanding).

We want nothing but the best for our family members, but if I found myself in a
"new" relationship with one of these folks?  I'd be heading for the hills as
fast as my feet would take me.  You just never know how the disease will
manifest itself.  Drug addiction?  Sex addiction?  Spending sprees?  Stupid
decisions?

Linda
The Truly Educated Never Graduate