To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: CS>Bipolar disorder

You'd be interested by an article that appeared in Readers' Digest long ago. A child was suffering from an undiagnosed illness. I don't recall all the symptoms, but there was frequent brain swelling that necessitated surgeries. The MD, on opening the cranium, was struck by the odor, he thought, of excrement.

This he could not believe, and finally decided he was wrong.

He wasn't.

Playing in a sandbox while visiting relatives, the child had gotten a parasite -- a tapeworm I believe. The parasite had penetrated the blood/brain barrier.

The child nearly died before the MDs figured out what had happened. It's very rare, but it's real.

I've read H. Clark's books, and give her a lot of credit. The worst thing about her work is the title -- Cure for All Diseases. That's a stretch, and probably turns off many potential readers who'd benefit from her observations.