Date forwarded:         Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:18:11 -0700
From:                   "Ivan Anderson" <i...@win.co.nz>
To:                     <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Subject:                Re: CS>Reams lit & info
Date sent:              Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:11:38 +1200
Forwarded by:           silver-list@eskimo.com
Send reply to:          silver-list@eskimo.com

> I appreciate your input Jim.
> I certainly don't want to beat up on Terry, especially as I can
> see that this type of therapy would yield good results.
> But what am I to do. I and others have been investigating the
> relationship between pH intake and elimination, and its role in
> systemic and degenerative disease and I must call it as I see it.
> I do not claim to be a biologist or anything more than a
> interested layman with some technical and scientific knowledge.

Ivan,
        Yes, I can see where you are going with this, and I think it is a
misunderstanding of terms in some cases. Is can be very
confuseing to try to understand pH, as there are many systems in
the body that work in totally different ideal pH's.

> I am sure that Dr Reams was a very smart man and investigated
> these processes thoroughly, but of course time marches on and
> others have conducted research into this area also, and it is not
> surprising that recent studies may conflict with his.
>
> And while testing the pH of the saliva (of which I know nothing)
> and urine is probably the only non-invasive indicator of plasma
> and tissue pH trends, it is just that, an indicator. To say that
> the human biological pH should be 6.4, when one presumably means
> the urine should be this, shows I am sorry to say, a basic
> misunderstanding of the human pH and buffering systems. The body
> strives to maintain a pH of 7.4 and does this, as I'm sure you
> know, through the exhalation of CO2 and the elimination of H+ or
> HCO3- by way of the kidneys.
> When this does not happen correctly then the likely outcome is
> the depositing of calcium or other solids through out the body.

Above you say the body strives to maintain a pH of 7.4, don't you
mean the body strives to maintain a blood pH of 7.4???
When we say a body pH of 6.4, we are talking BODY, not blood,
and I know there are other pH's in the body that are supposted to be
different.
I do agree that the body will steal calcium from the bones to buffer
the blood pH and then deposit the residue through out the body. A
correct diet will redesolve this calcium and the body will carry it out
of the system.

> There are indications that adjusting low pH with potassium or
> sodium will provide better outcomes, as these are the main water
> soluble alkaline minerals, and they have a high enough charge to
> displace calcium from solid deposits, render the deposits water
> soluble and make the resultant calcium ions available for proper
> use. There have also been studies which show that calcium
> supplementation can do more harm than good, which is not to say
> that the various forms of calcium as applied by the Reams
> discipline do so. Many (most?) people are deficient in magnesium
> which also has a major role in calcium utilisation and
> neurological function.

Where ever did you get the idea that sodium was a better way to
adjust a low pH??? Most people I test are loaded with salts, and yet
most of them have a low pH! I don't suggest my clients use any salt
if possible, and only then if they just can't live without it. Of course,
you may be talking about some other form of sodium than sodium
chloride. As for potassium, some people need it and some don't.
The test will tell. Yes, many people are deficient in magnesium,
which I use to lower the ureas in the system and take stress off the
heart.

> Minerals are obviously essential to good health, and I can't
> think of a better source than ocean plant life where the mineral
> content approximates that of human plasma. Indeed seawater has
> been used for transfusions when blood plasma has not been
> available, I have even read a French experiment where the blood
> of a dog was completely replaced by dilute salt water and this
> animal lived and became the lab pet.

If I remember correctly, sea water is too salty to use straight, and a
large part of the salt has to be removed to make it a substitute for
blood.

> Bottom line...
> One does not need to know the ins and outs of the theory, to
> apply a therapeutic protocol to good effect, but it certainly
> helps when one tries to explain it.

I agree, and I know I am sometimes lacking in knowledge on how
the ins and outs work with the Ream's system, but I learn more
every week, and one day I know I will have a much better
understanding of how it works.

> Kind regards
> Ivan

Take Care!