Hi All and thanks in advance,

I made the first batch of CS today, I think.  I am including the
following for your comments.  Thanks much.

Tuesday, August 17, 1999  1735 PST.

12 oz water glass, rinsed with distilled water and filled to
aproximately the 10 oz point (see dimensions below) with distilled
water.

NOT to scale

+----------+ ------------------------------
+----------+ Water level--------------  6"
|          |                    5-3/8"
|  Glass   |
|          |
|          |
+----------+-------------------------------

Diameter of glass: aprox 2-1/2" at top flaring to 2-3/4" and then
tapering to 2-1/2" at bottom

Probes are duplicate length of .40 diameter .999 fine silver wire.

Probes run entirely to the bottom of the container within 1/8".

Probes run down the sides of the glass giving a spacing of aproximately
2-1/2".

Power supply reads 26.4V (fully across a +/- 12V logic power supply)
throughout process.  The positive terminal was run through a LED and an
DVM set to the 2 ma range.  Negative terminal connected directly to the
other probe.  LED lit dimly throughout the process and no visually
obvious change in brightness was noted.

Ran process for 20 minutes.  According to what I have been able to find,
this should, in theory, result in 20 PPM (1PPM/minute). The following is
the current flow recorded at start and in one minute intervals
thereafter:

Time    Current (ma)
----    ------------
0       0.27 (270 microamps)
1       0.31
2       0.31
3       0.32
4       0.33
5       0.34
6       0.34
7       0.35
8       0.35
9       0.36
10      0.37
11      0.37
12      0.38
13      0.38
14      0.39
15      0.40
16      0.40
17      0.41
18      0.43
19      0.44
20      0.44

Observations:

Greyish "strands" appeared around the negative electrode farily early on
in the process.  at least one visible strand ran between the probes.
Probes remained "clean" with the exception of a VERY light (blackish)
oxide which showed up when they were cleaned when removed.

After letting stand for an hour, no yellow color was noted.  Greyish
strands are not longer visible.  If there is any change in "color", it
may be that the water now appears very very slightly "milky", but
otherwise it appears unchanged (or I suspect it just doesn't look any
different that I can tell with any degree of certainty).  White printer
paper (typwriter paper) was placed behing the glass and still was unable
to note any color change.

Light used for observations were a krypton bulb 3V mini Mag light and a
visible red laser.

Laser reflected off the "strands" while current was applied, but shows
nothing after it set for a while.

One black particle (smaller than 0.5mm pencil point) in bottom of glass,
not sure if it was there in the beginning or not.

No difference in smell from original was noted.

Not positive, but finished CS (?) may have aslightly metalic taste, but
again, not positive.

Any ideas, or comments appreciated!

Thanks & take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, Net/Sys/WebAdmin SeaStar.org,
vikki.oz.net